Sunday, January 24, 2010

How do you protect yourself?

Hosea 6:6

For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather that burnt offerings.

Today's post is inspired by a message delivered by Adam L., a speaker visiting to our church today.

Today was very busy. I didn’t have much time to think of something to write, so after a very busy day I sat down to listen to a CD of the sermon given at church today. While it was playing I was looking through my bible waiting to see where God would lead me, and then I heard it. Adam said the words “we protect ourselves at all cost.” He was right. We protect ourselves from strangers, tough situations, failure, and relationships. Even the most important relationship we could ever have; the relationship God wants us to have with Him. I’m guilty, and here’s how I did it:

  • Not getting involved.
  • Just coasting through life without intention.
  • Not letting anyone get close enough to really know me.
  • Not allowing myself to mention God at work or in social situations.
  • Not changing my life, for fear of what it might bring.
  • Being afraid to give up the things that separated me from God, or even trying to understand what they might be.
  • Not truly committing to knowing God because it might force me to change.
  • By carrying around my past sins, convinced that they couldn’t be forgiven.
That was me, but not any more. I found out that real change really good. While I continue to pray and seek His purpose for me, I’m making changes.
Here are some of them:
  • I’m getting involved.
  • I have a very definite intention to know God more.
  • I’m sharing my thoughts right here, allowing everyone to get to know me.
  • I mention God in any situation as the Holy Spirit leads me, so that others will know Him.
  • I’m not fearful of how God will change me, but eager for it to happen.
  • I’ve stopped being afraid to hear from God, but rather I thirst for His Word and direction.
  • I’ve committed to daily Bible study to gain more understanding.
  • I know I’m forgiven.
I’m trying not to control things anymore, but trusting Him instead. I’m enjoying this growing relationship I have with Jesus. There is so much more I want and need to know about Him and even more that He wants me to know. I’m no longer afraid, but expectant.

I’ve begun to rely on Him for my protection.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I am so blessed to be getting to know you and your love for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I protect myself? I gained a bunch of weight and have a huge wall around me. Both physically and emotionally. I try to put doors in the wall to let some people in sometimes, but not everyone all the time.

    ReplyDelete