Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Inspiration

What inspires you? You might be surprised, so take a look around and see what He's put in front of you.

Today, I posted a picture of what inspired me to name this blog Concrete Dove. Every day on my way to work I pass over this slab of concrete with a dove-shaped crack and every day it reminds me to start my workday with a prayer, and to give thanks for the day, the job, and so much more. It's my quiet time.

When the idea of writing a blog started rolling around in my head, the name came to me without even second guessing. It was right in front of me every day. If you look closely, you'll see a white line in the concrete. Use your imagination. I see it like a pencil drawing; almost like what a child might draw. I like to see it as holding the proverbial olive branch in its beak (that are actually two black asphalt patches). The wings are outstretched, from the top to the bottom of the picture, and the bird is facing left with the branch. This morning when I saw that the morning snow had filled the crack, making it stand out, I had to get a camera to snap the picture and finally post it. Let me know if you can see it, too.

What is concrete? Here's how Merriam-Webster on-line defines it:
As a noun-A mass formed by concretion or coalescence of separate particles of matter in one body, a hard strong building material.
As an adjective-Characterized by or belonging to immediate experience of actual things or events, naming a real thing.
As a verb- To cover with, form of, or set in concrete; to form into a solid mass.

Can you see how the Word of God is like concrete (only better)? A solid foundation. Something we can hold on to. It covers us with His protection. It holds us up straight and strong. It withstands any storm. Together we are one body, in Him.

Stand firm, in His Word. Learn It, Know It, Live It!

Watch this video featuring Bebo Norman's song I Will Lift Up My Eyes. It's filled with beautiful Psalms (more of that concrete) and pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtAjrNqEsoM

Today I'm thinking of and praying for Loretta, Betty, Linda, WCC, Nicki, Renee, Hunter, Dayton, Isabell, Allishia, John, Mike, and Candy all are sick or hurting in some way, and need His help. Please say a prayer for them, too.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I arrive at work in the dark, and although I won't see it clearly, I'll know it's there...and it will forever change my mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely saw the dove as soon as I looked at the picture! Before I read your explanation. Praise God - He can even make something beautiful out of a crack! He certainly can used cracked pots like us!
    Cindy Lou

    ReplyDelete