Sunday, October 16, 2011

When Something Unexpected and Terrible Happens

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

...the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction... NAS

     Just like the Third Day song says "Cry Out to Jesus." Easy for me to say, right? But it's not always easy to do. Especially when we don't understand why something terrible happens to us, or someone we love.
     We were out of town for the weekend and as soon as we returned, my son went on Facebook to catch up with friends. He never expected to find out that two of his friends each lost there fathers.
     One of the kids posted as if he were speaking to God, begging for the answer. Why? Why did you take him from me? The other posted right from her smart phone within an hour of her fathers' passing. It read something like, "I don't know what to say, I don't know what I'm supposed to do?" Both clearly despondent, and one sounding pretty angry at God.
     It's easy for me to say "Cry out to Jesus." No one knows, truly knows, what another is feeling even if we've had the same experience. I lost my own father five years ago now, and I still have days when my heart aches for him. But I'm not a teenager. I can't imagine what I would have done or how I would have felt if I had lost him in my senior year of high school. At that time in my life, I think I would have been very angry at God, too.
     Tonight I pray for these two children. I pray that they don't let their anger and sadness lead them away from God at this very fragile point in their young lives. I pray they would cry out to Jesus, asking for His help and comfort. He hears all of our pleas. If they are angry, I pray that they lay that anger at His feet and accept his comfort in return. While they have each lost their Earthly fathers, their Father in heaven will never leave them or forsake them. In Jesus name, I pray that they run to Him, now. Amen.