Monday, October 23, 2017

Day 23 - Work

Do the Work, Don't be the Work


Colossians 3:23 (NASB) Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

This took longer than five minutes to write, but I've missed a few installments. I should be caught up now.

For the last "cough-cough" years, work has given me both great fulfillment and great disappointment; unfortunately, more disappointment. It hasn't been a happy work life. If I had known what the Word says about work; however, my work life (my life) would have been more balanced and happy. That's on me.

You see, I set my work up as an idol. Up until a few years ago I put all my effort into it complete with long hours and college at night, through two degrees. I was a real "company man". When I finally got where I wanted the work didn't provide peace, contentment, or confirmation of my worthiness to be there. I was hurt, confused, and burnt out. 

Not that my efforts didn't pay off. I certainly learned all I could from great examples and have become very good at my job, but I altogether missed the point. Work is work, it is not me.

Paraphrasing Andy Stanley (YourMove.org Pack Your Bags, Now And Then) and he talks about the "do's" required in the different seasons of life. He says the best preparation for the next season is to do what God tells you to do in this season, and there's a sense of liberty comes with that. So why prepare for the next season? Because the seasons of our lives are connected.

Okay, I'm in. I'm done with disappointment. All that hard work has significant education and training sprinkled in. I'll call that preparation for my next season, which isn't that far away.

So, what now? In the meantime, I've taken down the idol and I will continue to work heartily, as for the Lord. Obey God. Write when He says write. Put my best effort into His work and His Word. With that, I'm confident that peace, contentment, a sense of liberty, even that elusive sense of fulfillment will follow. According to Joshua 1:7, only then can I achieve success, the success He has planned for me. That's what He says, and I believe Him.

Hmmm...could it be that easy? I think so.


Click here for My 31 Days of Free Writing Table of Contents

This is the October Free Write from Five Minute Fridays, that's 31 days of writing with a new prompt each day. My first year and I've taken up the challenge even though I'm starting late. http://fiveminutefriday.com/community/

No comments:

Post a Comment